Friday, September 14, 2007

No day but today.

That quote is from the Musical RENT, which happens to be our (husband and I) favorite!

So, last night on a last minute whim, we decided to go to my son's school for the Ice Cream Social. It was only for an hour and we already missed the first 10 mins. Anyway, when we got there, we parked on the side of the road, I stepped out and got my 18 month old out of the car seat. I was standing in ANTS... apparently. STUPID ANTS. Anyway, I got a bunch of bites. FIREY. OUCH. Screamed a bunch ... handed off the baby, danced around, threw my shoes, etc. etc. ALMOST Striped naked! I had jumped into the baby's seat by this time. Anyway, got all situated. Walked into the school. Told my husband I wanted to go to the restroom. Shook out my pants. I was scratching EVERYWHERE. Came out. Ran into some friends. Walked over to get to the ice cream line. Told my husband, I don't feel well. He looked at me and said "OH NO!" We went to the car. He said... do you want to go to the hospital or home? "Uh, I dunno" Two Steps later. HOSPITAL. In the car, I started to lose my hearing and sight and breathing was slowly becoming a problem. Got to the ER, cut in front of people (SO SORRY PEOPLE!), handed them my driver's license... that's the last thing I remember before being wheeled in the ER room. My husband had to park and get the kids in. Things are so much harder to facilitate with kids. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE them. It's just so much harder to do things like this. And we have lots of family and friends around but no one is with you in the car right at that moment. Anyway, got into the ER... apparently, it was a life-threating situation, so says the ER Dr. He said my BP was very low and 10 mins of that at I would have had brain damage. Great. Anyway, they pumped me full of "make you feel LOOPY" drugs. Kept me for 6 hours - that's 1 am people. So. THANK GOODNESS for my SIL and husband. SIL is imminently pregnant and started having contractions on Wed. I was sure all this was going to happen at the same time. BUT we worked it through - I should say SIL and husband did. She came over with her son and spent the night (my BIL is a surgeon and was on call last night - of course!) I just think it's funny how all the life things that could happen happened at the same night. ANY other given night, everyone would have been home, etc. So, I'M FINE now - that's obvious since I'm writing this, isn't it? I do have to carry an EPI pen around forever now. Great.

So, back to the title... No day but today. I'm in denial about the severity of this issue because I just can't think of that. My husband had a pretty hard time with it but we're all good now.

AND I OWE my son BIG TIME. Many of you know that we don't give sugar to our kids - EXCEPTIONS family b'days, etc. And we decided to take him to this because he's doing so well in Kinder. It was a fundraiser - $1 per spoon and the ice cream is free. He even got the $3 from his piggy bank for us. Did he get the ice cream? Uh, no. This all happened to fast.

It's all good though. Thank you for your concern. I'm tired but doing SUPER!

18 comments:

Donna Baker said...

whoa! scary...so you're ALLERGIC to fire ant bites? dang, girl...be careful!! sucks about the EPI pen...but hey it will save your precious life so glad you went to the ER

Sarah said...

Yikes kid!!! So glad you're okay -- time for some r&r.

Nancy said...

Holy C$*^!!! How very scary!!!

So glad everything turned out OK!

Shelby said...

Yikes! Scary! Very glad you're okay!!!

Jennifer Aviles said...

Geeta - that must have been so frightening for you and your family. . .probably D & the boys more 'cause you were loopy, but oh my word what an experience. I'm so happy that you're okay!

scoopy (Emily) said...

OMGosh Geeta! How scary! Glad you're OK!

Rachel V. said...

Oh my goodness. How terribly scary! I'm so glad it all worked out...and that something like this didn't happen when you were alone. Keep the epi pen nearby...and hope you get some time this weekend for a little pampering. You deserve it!

Anonymous said...

Um, I'm so glad you're okay! How freaky.

Michelle Clark said...

WOW I am so glad you are ok. The Fab 4 can't function without you!!

Rhonda said...

Geeta!! I'm so glad you're ok and sorry that all happened! Thankfully you were able to get to the hospital quick enough and they were able to handle the situation for you. Thank goodness for family to help too! I'm happy to hear all worked out well and that you're alive today!! :D BAD FIRE ANTS!!!! I can't imagine how scary the whole situation must've been for you and your family!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're okay!!

Christine said...

So sorry to hear about what happened, Geeta!

Glad you're okay!

Jan Scholl said...

I sat on an anthill once but other than itching didnt think much of it. The bites took months to go away. Good grief-are you sure it was ants and not some form of bees? Feel better and let son have a Skinny Cow ice cream sammy-that is what I feed my cookie monster hubby.

Anonymous said...

Geeta, so glad you went to the ER and didn't think it would just pass. Glad you are OK. Take care of yourself and rest.

Anonymous said...

wow, geeta--how scary! so glad your husband was with you and that you're feeling okay now. :) lexi

Anonymous said...

wow geeta! glad you're better ... my youngest son is allergic to fire ants and we almost lost him from 1 bite on his toe when he was 2. hope you never have to use the epi pen! take care!

Karen said...

Yikes!! So glad to hear everything worked out, but definitely a scary thing to experience.

Anonymous said...

Wow, SO GLAD you are okay! When we lived in TX, my son went into anaphalactic shock from a couple of fire ant bites...I got him to the Dr. in time! He's 24 now, and thankfully lives in Boston where there are NO fire ants!! Those little devils are something else...